Honey bees were one of the most important pollinators in flora. In U.S., honey bees pollinate about $15 million worth of fruit, seed and fiber crops each year. So many foods rely on honey bees. Even one third of food human eat is dependent on a honey bee to pollinate that food. But the bad news is, in recent years, honey bees are vanishing and this situation is widespread. Heavy losses of honey bees were suffered in U.S., Canada, Germany, Uruguay, France, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Ukraine, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, South Korea and China. This crisis was named Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). Experts present 8 leading suspects to result CCD phenomenon, which includes parasite, mites, poor nutrition of the bees and so on. In January 2007, the Colony Collapse Disorder Working group was formed. Senators in U.S. fight for honey bees after 2007 and many government from other countries take actions to protect honey bees, other kinds of companies and people also gave a hand to let people know this phenomenon and protect honey bees.
Haagen-Dazz brand was started in Bronx, New York, in the 1920s. The ingredients of Haagen-Dazz ice cream are the finest from the entire world. The founder, Reuben Mattus made Haagen-Dazz ice cream up to capture a feeling of old world traditions, craftsmanship, natural ingredients, and quality production.
As the CCD working group focus on how to protect honey bees, Haagen-Dazz also enters the fight. But protecting honey bees is not the only reason for Haagen-Dazz choose to join this fight, they use this opportunity to develop an cause-related campaign and demonstrate to its consumers that the company is a good citizen concerned about issues that affect us all and that profit is not everything.
The strength for Haagen-Daze in this crisis was that Haagen-Daze was such a big company that it could launch so many actions and have enough money to take these actions. The weakness was Haagen-Daze didn’t have many directly relation to honey bees. The opportunity was Haagen-Daze use honey bees crisis to demonstrates to its consumers that the company is a good citizen concerned about issues that affect us all and profit is not everything. The threat for Haagen-Daze was some of the people have low educated, so they can not know the important of honey bees and can not understand the actions of Haagen-Daze.
1. On February 19, 2008. The Haagan-Daze Loves Honey Bees (HD Loves HB) campaign was launched and set three goals;
2. Primary researches included focus group, audience analysis were conducted to determine consumer awareness, engagement, and attitude towards the honey bee issue and the brand’s possible role in the cause;
3. To let honey bee issue more directly related to Haagan-Daze ice cream, show the company’s concern and the brand’s authentic reliance on honey bees;
4. Donate numbers of money to the working groups, which research in honey bee biology and health pollination;
5. The brand created an advisory board to guide the brand and ensure that communication is authentic and factual;
6. Two beekeepers from east coast-based and west coast-based to proved insight into the struggles beekeepers face;
7. Board members serve as media spokespeople;
8. The brand launched a new bee-dependent flavor, and donate a percentage of overall sales to go toward CCD research;
9. The brand created a special logo that was featured on all bee-dependent flavors and put CCD information under the lid of bee-dependent cartoon;
10. The brand announced the campaign to beekeepers and scientific community at a key industry conference, to let them spread this news;
11. Use media to let people know this campaign in order to enlarge company’s authentic reliance on honey bees;
12. Through media to let people help Haagen-Daze plant one million seeds to create bee-friendly habits;
13. During national Pollinator Week, the brand and the pollinator partnership hosted a briefing on Capitol Hill about the plight of honey bees and brand-hosted ice social.
- After all the actions, business goals, awareness goals and behavior goals are reached;
- The campaign won the 2009 gold Clio Award in the Pubic Relations Consumer Category;
- The campaign won the 2009 PR week award for cause-Related Campaign of the year and an honorable mention for campaign of the year.
Haagen-Daze brand definitely did a good job for this campaign. They use honey bee crisis to help people know the culture of the company and also help honey bees. It is a win-win case. In this crisis case, Haagen-Daze followed the typical PR campaign, research, plan, execution, and evaluation. Also, Haagen-Daze made objectives first, as a public organization, Haagen-Daze use donation, bee board and media to let more and more people know this plan and enlarge reputation of the company. How to handle opportunity is very important for one organization. The success of Haagen-Daze based on enough researches. The Haagen-Daze understood the important of education and expanded its media target beyond this campaign.